Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Laundry Room

After several near avalanches, I decided it was time to clean the laundry room.  Seriously, it was that bad.  So last week I put the kids down for their naps, popped in the Twilight soundtrack, which is seriously a great CD, and got to work.  I couldn't believe how dirty it was.  I don't know that some of those areas had been cleaned since we moved in.  I can't believe I just admitted that, but it's true.  I also didn't realize it, but there were two boxes in there that still hadn't been unpacked from when we moved in TEN months ago.  I hope my mom's not reading this because I know she would just be shaking her head.  Just remember that we moved in when I was eight months pregnant and I was more concerned about unpacking the kitchen and getting the munchkins rooms done.  Anyways, I made a goodwill pile, trash pile (which was big, fortunately) and a put-away pile.  It only took me a couple hours, but I managed to get the laundry room all cleaned and organized.  I still plan on painting and changing the shelf arrangement above the washer and dryer since it doesn't really work for us (the previous owners had a stackable washer and dryer), but until I get to that this works.  Now I just have to work on keeping it cleaned since I find that the laundry room becomes my dumping ground.
I know, I know, it's really bad... pretty embarrassing actually

Not as bad, but still not good

A project that I started in November :)


I don't have words for this.  Who knew an out of the way spot behind the door and in the corner could get such gross dust bunnies :)

Yay!!!  The clean and organized after.  It is really so much better.

Notice the cleaning bucket has been moved to a higher shelf.

My everyday laundry supplies

I found this at a thrift store last summer for $2.00 and touched it up with some Heirloom White spray paint and chalkboard paint.  Now we just need to get in the habit of using it.

The laundry room is clean and organized now.  Since I would love to have a beautiful laundry room that is decorated and pretty though I'm thinking I want to paint the walls Silver Sage from Benjamin Moore (we don't have a restoration hardware close to us), add a nice Ballard Design's inspired shelf, some pretty containers for laundry soap and a few nice decorative accessories.  So one of these days I'll get around to doing it, but I should finish up the munchkins bathroom first.  After all I did start that two weeks ago and just need to finish it up.  By the way, it's looking great.  I'm excited to show you all.

2 comments:

  1. My family and I are moving into our new home in a couple of weeks and I have visions of everything being nice and organized!! Can't wait to see the little ones bathroom. The shower curtain is neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my laundry room when its organized! Like you it is my catch all! It can be clean one day, and the next, the counter is full again! In these new homes I really think its lack of storage, okay thats just my excuse!!

    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love to read everyone's comments and it helps me discover new blogs.